After 11 years of Linux usage, I finally got serious about tiling window managers and spent all night tinkering with them. I settled on ion3 for various reasons and I'm extremely happy.
The new environment I'm working in has more or less redeemed Linux for me, if perhaps not for the general user.
The main advantages for me personally with a tiling window manager are
1. Speed. The rendering speed is good and doesn't lag on workspace switches like Gnome + (Metacity/Compiz) did.
2. Keyboard control. I still resort to the mouse whenever I don't know the keyboard combo to do something, but I'm adapting quickly. Keyboard control is, as always, much faster for anything not requiring analog/graphically descriptive control.
3. The minimalistic aesthetic of it greatly appeals to me. A couple improvements could be made to the GTK stuff, but a quick-stop to lxappearance (I can't say for sure if I'm invoking the correct name, but that was the gist of it) or some-such when I'm not feeling lazy will rectify all ailments.
All in all, a very pleasant and refreshing experience.
*almost* makes me hesitate to continue to strive towards that macbook ;)
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment