I dreamt about watching a storm roll into Texas in what looked like the middle of the desert last night. Not the worst way to pass the sleep.
Continuing to work and save money for the (hopefully) upcoming road trip, so far I've got Philly, Ithaca, and NYC on the hotlist with Montreal as an option depending on what happens.
I'm starting to think that after ~3 weeks of living out of my car that it is changing me a little bit. First and most obvious difference is that I'm becoming accustomed to the impermanence as well as the vacuum of not having a "homing beacon". The more subtle change is that I think it's making me happier at some level. I haven't felt any sustained melancholy since I began like this. I don't know if it's the fresh air, the sunlight, or some combination thereof, but I just plain feel fine. I can't really explain it beyond that for now.
Living on the road, either by virtue of modernity or the ever-shrinking world, isn't really that much different from normal life. I don't get to sleep on a comfy bed, one of the few things I really miss about having my own place, but beyond that it's not much different. There's a general feeling of restlessness that comes from having to rotate where you sleep and otherwise hang out as well as to seek wifi, but all the trappings of modern life are essentially intact. I can't help but feel like there's no substantial change involved unless you experience hunger or get dropped off in the wilderness. Surviving in the city is pretty comfortable. I'd be a liar to say otherwise.
I've been working on TeXing up my resume for the past week on and off (I don't exactly have an office), and I think I'm in the final stages of making small edits here and there. I'll probably shift to using the TeX resume primarily, although I might need to keep a stripped text-only version in case a recruiter wants to play Mr. Wizard.
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that I won't be finding any work here in town, making it all the more likely that I'll clear out of town fairly soon. Some of the best programmers in town that I know are in the job market now, and that doesn't spell anything good for the software devs here.
I can't complain about having a potentially difficult decision made for me.
Will likely be getting a (much) better camera before I head out of town, so more and better pictures coming soon.
Sunday, July 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment