Monday, June 22, 2009

Initial

I've been drifting for a few months now, looking from city to city for work. I was unsuccessful in Bucyrus and cleared out of Bucyrus on last Sunday. I was staying in Bucyrus with some old friends of the family, but things got rather unstable there, and I knew I'd need to move back to Columbus to be able to find any work, so I left.

I thought I'd be in Columbus by now, but I was delayed because of a visit to a friend's house that has since turned into a temporary place for me to attempt to get my bearings and follow up on work opportunities. My best friend Lee and his family are extremely hospitable and that amongst other reasons make me want to make certain I don't get comfortable and move back out to Columbus as soon as work beckons. While this'll mean no more food/comfy sleep/stable internet, it'll give me some impetus to get things sorted quickly.

My present location of exile from society is Urbana, which is a rather rural part of Ohio, but there is Springfield nearby for some of the amenities that may be needed beyond the basics at the local Wal-Mart. I managed to get back in touch with the manager at the pizza place that I had looked into previously and I'm scheduled to show up for training in Hilliard on Wednesday. I'm as yet uncertain whether I'll stay in Columbus for that or not, I suppose that will depend on how soon thereafter my shifts begin.

On top of the pizza place, I do have a programming contract which I accepted an advance for as of today. This post is actually a brief respite from the beginnings of that work. I've begun tinkering with the relevant APIs in PHP, but I'm considering seeing if the owner's hosting company can handle ruby or python however unlikely it may be.

Since I'm able to type this from a laptop, clearly I was (thankfully) able to make a trade via craigslist of my former desktop for a laptop. But most importantly, the only reason I was even able afford the gas to go anywhere or do anything was because of the donations and kindness I found on Reddit recently when I made a post there about some of the troubles I was having. That same post also opened up the opportunity for the contract I'm working on, as well as a loan offered by someone who knows me on the askreddit IRC channel.

All in all, things are looking pretty good and I think I'll be okay. I plan on getting a replacement pair of glasses for my present ones, because the present ones are utterly broken and are held together with gradually weakening duct-tape and super glue. I was able to find a glasses seller online that had sane prices I'm able to afford, so I'm pretty excited about having my first new pair of glasses in 4 almost 5 years.

Once I'm wearing pair of glasses not taped together with duct-tape and raw hatred, I'll post a picture of myself that is recent.

In the meantime, here's another picture from Urbana and also of my best friend's El Camino.

More updates and programming commentary to be posted as it comes to me.






















No comments:

Post a Comment